Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Reading Assignment

The reading assignment for this term is to read 4 books or 800 pages. Whichever you prefer. The two requirements for book eligibility are that 1. the book have over 40,000 words, and 2. the book be approved by me.

I am instituting this assignment because 1. Lyman has low reading scores, and 2. We have lost the 20 minutes of reading each day that we had last year.

Since I know that many of you have busy lives outside of school, I am providing in-class time for you to read. We will read during class on Mondays and Fridays. This plan has been endorsed by Mary Thrasher, the district's reading consultant.

To get credit for your reading you need to fill out a Book Report Sheet.

Make sure you pick books that you will enjoy.

Since I am providing in-class time for this assignment I am going to require that you finish a book and turn in a book report on these dates:

Book 1: November 16

Book 2: December 7

Book 3: December 21

Book 4: January 11

Late book reports will not be accepted.